The LBC Fattie Fleet is a swimming group for women members of LBC, aged 18 and over. We would love for you to join us, please see below for details.
How to join
- Email one of the Queen Fish (details below).
- Attend the coffee kickoff (see events below).
- You must be an LBC member and a women aged 18 or over to join.
- All past and present Fattie Fleet members are welcome to come to all events during the summer.
How it works
- The group meets to swim or walk as many laps as they can during the summer — some members swim up to 800 laps!
- Laps can be performed by swimming or by aerobic walking in knee-deep water between the dock and the catwalk.
- At the midsummer luncheon members who have completed 100 laps by July 28 are recognized and first time members earn the coveted Blue Towel, a badge of honor.
Why you should join
You will stay healthy, meet friends and be a part of history. The best and biggest thing you get from participating in the Fattie Fleet is the camaraderie. You will meet friends for life of all ages. We still have some original members with us! Our goal is for all households in the LBC area having a member of Fattie Fleet.
The Fattie Fleet began in 1956, when a group of women with young children wanted to share care while they swam laps at the beach. The name was inspired by the “Flattie” boats, and then an unknown husband in the day, coined “Fattie Fleet”. The name stuck! There was a short-lived effort to rename us “Laurelhurst Lappers”, but it didn’t take.
Upcoming Fattie Fleet events
- Monday, June 20th: Coffee kickoff at 11am.
- Tuesday, July 28th: 100 Lap Deadline
- Thursday, July 28th: Potluck Lunch at 12:00pm
- Mary Craig (click to email)
Photos from the Fattie Fleet 2016 luncheon