Seeking a New LBC Manager for the 2014 season!
Laurelhurst Beach Club General Manager Job Opportunity
Send letter of interest and qualifications/resume, by March 1, 2014 to: email to: email@example.com
Interviews will be held in March, 2014
The Laurelhurst Beach Club (LBC) is seeking a General Manager to run its seasonal operations. The
LBC has over 800 family members and is situated on Lake Washington, in Seattle. The LBC provides
swimming and sailing facilities to its membership, including an established sailing racing
program and instruction camps.
Purpose of Position: Provide the Laurelhurst Beach Club (LBC) with seasonal management and
leadership of the lifeguard staff, business administration, facilities maintenance, sailing program staff,
special events and front desk staff. The General Manager (GM) is responsible for creating and
maintaining an environment that places safety of members, guests and employees, and outstanding
customer service as top priorities.
Qualifications of the General Manager
The qualified applicant will have strong leadership and organizational skills; have experience working
with children and families, and experience working energetically and proactively to ensure safe and fun
beach club programs.
Hold current Red Cross CPR and First Aid certificates as of the date of hire.
General Manager Areas of Responsibility
The GM is involved in hiring and retention of all staff positions. This includes Life Guards, Front Desk Staff,
Club Business Administration, and Sailing Program staff. The GM leads the hiring process. Hiring decisions
will be made with assistance and involvement of the applicable board members.
● The GM will hire, train and supervise the Lifeguard Manager(s).
● The GM will hire, train and supervise the Front Desk Manager and staff.
● The GM will hire, train and supervise the Facilities Manager position.
● The GM will hire train and supervise the Sailing Program Manager and staff
● The GM will liaise with the current Business Manager.
The GM will lead training and certification of lifeguard staff prior to opening day in early June.
The GM or a senior guard must staff during all hours of operations. In addition the GM must always be
available on call. The expectation for this position is that the GM will be present, at a minimum, at the
LBC on Wednesdays-Sundays during the season (approximately Saturday, June 7-Sunday,
September 7 2014).
In addition, the GM will be responsible to:
● Enforce all club rules.
● Manage staff and handle personnel issues.
● Train staff, establish and monitor staffing plan and establish procedures for personnel reviews.
● Schedule and facilitates weekly staff meetings.
● Develop and oversee monthly In-service training programs for staff to promote safety. Safety
programs to include appropriate sun protection and well being for the LBC staff.
● Oversee and conducts daily safety checks of LBC equipment and the surrounding beach club
area, and reports problems to the appropriate person(s).
● Ensure that facility is maintained throughout the season to a high standard, including appropriate
hourly/periodic restroom attention. Ensure that the LBC facility is clean and the grounds are well
taken care of. Recommend necessary equipment and supplies for the safe operation of the club
● Review and/or create and update all procedural practices and manuals (emergency procedures,
cleaning check-lists, opening & closing procedures, check-in procedures, supply ordering, store
purchases & sales, etc.).
● Coordinate & provide oversight for the following LBC events: 4th of July, Kids Overnight, Adult
Party, Ice Cream Social, Movie Nights, Summer Sailing Series and Sailing Instruction camps.
● Recommend and implement additional summer and off season events to provide the
membership opportunities to utilize their club.
● Coordinate and provide oversight for maintenance of the club, including restroom supplies
attention and cleanliness.
● Develop working relationship with LBC Business Manager to establish cash flow, budget and
● Report all income and expenses (including wages) to LBC Treasurer and operate within the
approved LBC budget.
● Recommend membership policy changes and LBC rule changes as may be fit.
● Provide LBC Board with post-season review – summary of staff evaluations & recommendations,
and maintenance & facility recommendations.
● Ensure that facility is opened-up properly for start of season.
● Supervision, administration and tracking of swim tests levels for children under 12.
● Supervision of members and guests – including tracking access to the club. Responsible to
implement the guest policy at the club.
● Monitoring security for the LBC.
● Supervision of concessions sales/ice cream program.
● Administration of kayak and paddle board program.
● Monitor and ensure effective enforcement of staff sun protection policies – including use of
umbrella, hats, sunglasses, attire and sunscreen.
● Other duties as assigned or apparent.
Specific off-season Duties of GM
● Manage the staff selection process – solicit & accept applications, conduct interviews, create job
descriptions and employment contracts.
● Work with LBC chairpersons to create staffing budget for upcoming season.
● Develop the LBC operations plan – shift responsibilities, rotations and schedules.
● Work with the LBC board to develop LBC calendar, LBC schedule, LBC hours, etc.
● Review and/or create procedural manuals and update as necessary.
● Create a training plan for staff – certification updates, initial in-service and then monthly
● Work with LBC Board to determine list of “To Do” items for pre and post season work parties.
● Order all appropriate supplies and materials for staff & facility, as needed – guard uniforms,
safety equipment, sailing equipment, front desk supplies, ice cream program supplies, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Ability to positively interact with members and guests.
● Work will be at an outdoor facility and will include exposure to all types of weather conditions,
including exposure to the sun.
● Requires knowledge of and demonstrate skills in life guarding, CPR, First Aid, maintenance,
personnel supervision, and public relations.
● Must have the ability and working knowledge in all aspects of beach club operations; the ability
for task initiatives and completion; work under minimal supervision; demonstrate the ability to
communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
● Prevents accidents through rule enforcement; remain calm in emergency situations, analyzes and
corrects facility hazards; and will learn and adhere to the facility emergency procedures.
Reporting Relationship: The GM reports to the president and the chairpersons of the LBC Board.
Interviews for the position will be held in March, 2014, with the goal to have the 2014 GM in place
by March 31, 2014.
Send letter of interest and qualifications/resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: Competitive and dependent upon qualifications and experience, ranging from $15,000
-$17,000/season. Additional discretional seasonal bonus eligibility.
Seeking Board Members!
The LBC Board is looking to fill current vacancies this Spring. Please send your interest to email@example.com. Thanks!
New to the neighborhood? Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive application materials.
The Laurelhurst Beach Club is a private membership club open to active members and invited guests.
Please provide comments to LBC staff and Board members at: